Downtown Stroll and Family Evening

Thursday, June 26

Greek Language Class

Strolling around downtown Athens and Shopping

Lunch in downtown Athens

Host Family Evening

Today, after our last Greek language class, we went to Σύνταγμα and Μοναστηράκι, two areas which were full of people, stores, and the smell of great food. From many streets in the area, we could see the Parthenon and the Acropolis, and being able to see both the old Greece and the new, modern Greece right next to each other was really interesting since it gave us a look into what Greece has been and what it has become. We had some great food for lunch, and after that we spent the afternoon and evening with our host families. It was great to meet with the families and find out more about their country (and ours!), and I definitely enjoyed the experience.

Matthew Kokkinos

Today’s activities offered a break from the usual fully packed schedule that I have become accustomed to while in Athens. Class began with lessons on the common Greek phrases and vocabulary necessary for shopping. Perfect timing since our first activity is taking the buss to down town Athens for lunch and shopping. The days after days of beautiful scenery and culture emersion can evoke a feeling of scenery overload. Finding the words to share all beautiful moments hardest part of explaining this trip to others. I have been taking many photos in hopes to retrieve lost memories and favorite moments of these past two weeks.

Nicholas Irmen

As usual, each day here has been getting better and better. Had class in the morning. In the intro class we went over simple directions so that we don’t get lost when we take on the city. Post class, we took a bus to downtown Athens where we were set loose on the shops. I personally purchased a pretty fly tank so I can represent Greece wherever I go. We then went and enjoyed lunch and went back to get ready for the host night. My group was invited to Ioanna’s house where we enjoyed an amazing family dinner with her parents and her cousins. The food was the best I’ve had all trip. Octopus was grilled first for a midday snack, followed by an amazing pastitiso and full dinner and dessert.

Matt Lycas

Today we had our last official language class of the trip. We went over how to ask for directions and then started to prepare for our exam the following day. Then we went to downtown Athens where we went shopping and had lunch at Kotili. Monastiraki had so many stores allowing everyone to get the souvenirs they wanted. We were then able to relax at the residences before we were picked up by our host families. I was lucky enough to have my own family to pick me up and take me to their home. My aunt prepared a huge dinner consisting of pork souvlaki, pita, feta, stuffed peppers, oven roasted lemon potatoes, Greek salad, and sausage. After dinner they took me to a bar in Petroupoli that overlooked Athens. It was a wonderful night filled with laughter and great conversation. It was sad to leave my family but I know I’ll be back soon because after this trip I know I won’t be able to stay away from Greece.

Melanie Konidaris